Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 9 - Venice

Today was a bit of a 'go slow' day. We had a bit of a sleep in then had our breakfast (not quite as good as Hotel Priuli's offings, but still good) Then we got ourselves set to catch up on our washing. We got directions to a laundromat, "very easy, just go straight, then turn left and you're there - 5 minutes". Everywhere in Venice is 'straight down there' to the Venitians. Needless to say, we got lost. What was meant to be 5 minutes, an hour later we stopped to ask for more directions which got us in the ball park, but we still had to ask a local for the third time. (BTW- no one laughs at my Italian here, they ACTUALLY understand me! I know, I can't even believe it myself).

We put our washing on and then found a lovely little restaurant two doors up and sat and had a leisurely Venetian lunch in their outdoor garden and played a hand of Scopa or two. Of course Nic had his 5th consecutive lasagna (of 5 possible opportunities excluding breakfasts) and I managed to buy a Gucci knock off from the Morrachini, which kept the kids highly entertained.


He started out asking 60€ and I offered him 10€. He rolled his eyes and told me I'd better eat first and calm down (in Italian). He then took 10 minutes to loop around the streets (Calle) and offered me the bag again, this time for 50€. Keep in mind, I haven't even really seen it properly because I was sitting at a table and they are not allowed to come too close. Once again, full of confidence I call out that I'm only prepared to pay 10€. This went on for over an hour and each time he walked past he offers it for ten less than last time, but I held firm. Once we got to 25€ I thought I'd better go over and have a good look because it looked like I was buying a bag. Anyway, he called me "cattiva" rolled his eyes and pleaded for me to be reasonable and that my generous husband would surely give me the 5€ to bring it up to 15€. I said he wouldn't because he's a tightarse and after a few more laps around the Calle, he pleaded with me to at least pay him 13€ and the deal was done. The waiter later told me he was very impressed with my bartering and I got myself a very good price, one even the locals would be happy to pay... Woo hoo!



Then we set off to return our freshly laundered clothes and walked past a barber. Nic wanted to get a hair cut, because he couldn't make it look spunky this morning, so we went in.

Then the barber suggested that he give Ben a cut throat shave because he would look 'piu meglio' - so he did! Vince, you would have been so jealous! You have been made redundant, your services are no longer required. Ben found himself someone better with a blade (one that can follow instructions too, and he doesn't even speak our language!)


We then chilled out back at our apartment, listened to more gondoliers serenading their passengers, drank our complimentary Prosecco and then meandered out for dinner. God, life's good.

 Ready for our night out on the town, San Marco piazza, here we come!

 Can you believe Nic ddn't have lasagna? He had spaghetti and meatballs, and then when it came he said "should have got the lasagna".  Liv's margherita was sensational.

 Then we did what everyone does, and paid a fortune for 4 hot chocolates and enjoyed the 4 piece orchestra. Nicholas and Olivia danced for us and we had a lovely time.







This one's for you Sandra
X
Yum






Smooth as a baby's bum

  
Our last night at Palzzo Bembo :(

We've loved it!











Tomorrow, we checkout after breakfast, see a little more of Venice then board our first cruise. Woo Hoo!!

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou sister dear. Hope you loved it! MWAH xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that the kids are enjoying themselves...the view from the hotel looks fabulous and the night shots are spectacular (good pick Terry).........
    until next time...love you xxx

    ReplyDelete