Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 24 - Marseille to Aix en Provence


Ohhhh the sheer bliss of being back in France! This country has officially become my most favourite place to be right now! Especially since our gorgeous apartment is walking distance to a wonderful little shopping district AND they have FAST wif-fi!

WOO HOO!!!


Ben and I have been simultaneously blogging for the past 3 hours.... Me writing, Ben uploading photos and catching up on the past week....Yay!

Happy Easter everyone, although I'm going to go to bed after this entry, you've just started your day (well those of you keen enough to check my Blog on rising....) and Happy Birthday Aunty Rosalba, sending you our love and big kisses!

Ayway, let me rewind a few hours to the start of my today.....

We said goodbye to Splendida this morning and took a taxi to the Europecar depot down town to pick up our car. Again, the weather is not that great, a little overcast but at least not cold and not raining. On the way there, our taxi driver pointed out a few important places to visit, like Gallerie La Fayette (Woo Hoo), Notre Dame de la Garda (yes, another church) and the best place to have Bouillabaisse... Need I say more?

We did all 3. We started with the world famous Michele's Bouillabaisse, so sure of themselves that there is barely anything else on the menu. I have to take a second mortgage out on the house, but I can confirm for you that it was quite magnificent. Even the kids loved it. We had calamari fritte as a starter because the soup takes 40 minutes to cook. Then they bring out the croutons and the aioli and Chilli sauce condiments, and then the piece de resistance, the bouillabaisse. The waiter bones the whole fish and serves it up for you (quite a bit thing to do over here). So, you get a bowl of the broth and then you have a side plate of the fish and potatoes that have been cooked in the broth. You then load your croutons up with aioli and float them in the soup, add your pieces of fish and potato and ho into it (I know this from watching the people next to us eat theirs).... Magnifique! Rick Stein - eat your heart out!
World famous Michel's Michel's i think the locals call it that because it's twice as expensive as any where else .


Calamari Fritti to die for cooked with garlic ,salt and butter what else do you need


That's right a great bottle of wine
Its quite an experience 


Fish cooked to perfection and presented like a piece of art 
We ate with real silver ware 
I know i took a lot of photos but it was great 

A chip off the old block loves his fish 

Thats what is across the road from the restaurant lovely sandy beaches and forts in the distance 
Just a typical French building at the Old Port of Marseilles 




The maitre de recommended that the kids have Sole with artichoke and pommes, which was also quite spectacular. We had a local wine that was that good, we took a photo of the label to try and hunt it down in the bottle shops later. All in all, Ben was like a pig in the proverbial.

Then it was my turn!

Galleries La Fayette.

Woo Hoo.

Didn't buy anything.

Well except a present for someone else and an Easter egg for the kids.

Anti climax.

Too hard with Nic whinging all the way behind me, it's that bloody catholic Calabrese guilt. I couldn't enjoy it. KL, here I come!

So we went to the church on the mountain which had the most spectacular view of Marseille (am I using that word too much? Oh well, it was!)
I now proclaim you Saint Lee Lee of Marseilles 
Looking down on the old port from the Cathedral
This time, although lovely, this church didn't quite take my breath away, the panoramic view did. The church had little boats strung up, hanging from the ceiling, like you would hang a mobile up over your baby's change table. It was very different. The church guards the mariners and the marina of Marseille.

Very much a Maritime church boats hanging form everywhere

After that, we took the 30 minute trip up the motor way to Aix en Provence - a mini Paris.
What can you say about Provence WOW

This Historic fountain is out side our font door 



Right now, as I blog, it's 1:10am and there is a major party happening out in the street. I don't know whether they're welcoming in Easter Sunday or if this is a regular Saturday night celebration. But I'm dying, they are honking their horns and yelling. The kids didn't wake up but I'm glad I wasn't asleep because I surely would have!

Nic had a bad night, he went to turn his bedside table lamp and touched a 12 volt halogen light that was on all day. OMG - burnt his hand - bad!

I've never seen him that worked up. Through all of his crying he was telling me he wasn't giong to be able to survive it and he can't wait until he sees me in heaven again. He was telling me his last goodbyes.... Fully: tell Nanny I love her, she would be freaking out if she was here; I love you mum; can you take me to the hospital?; I'm going to die tonight.... It was bad. It took us close to 2 hours to settle him down. I had to sit by his side and blow on his fingers until he fell asleep (or until the drugs kicked in) I should probably go to bed, because no doubt when they wear off he'll be crying again. :(

Nic's burnt hand that he was going to die from (I think he saw St Peter at the Pearly gates at one stage )





Anyway, I have digressed....



Shopping! My lady friends, I have finally been given the opportunity to spend some money!!!! Over the past month, I have been pointing out to Ben the Longchamp Les Pliage bag on peoples arms, that I have been coveting since I saw it in a magazine months ago, and there is a Longchamps store here! In Aix en Provence! So, I bought two! Woo bloody Hoo!
I can't see what you women see in bags or shoe's . A good fishing rod and reel now thats a different story (don't give a man a fish ,teach him how to fish) (I've spent far to much time in churches of late)

Main St Aix-En Provence of an evening , it got very busy later on .



THEN, we went across the way to a lovely department store that had a supermarket downstairs and a Target like store upstairs. More up market though. Liv and I bought some clothes and now I'm like a pig in the proverbial!

Went back to the apartment to have a mezze dinner. Loved it.... Until the burn....

Liv loves France . Don't blame her for a minute 
Just a palace across from us 


Good night all. I'll add photos tomorrow.

Love you guys.

Happy Easter again and Bon Soiré.

X

4 comments:

  1. :( ohhh nicolino I hope your burn is ok now. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor bello Nic...we feel your pain xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your Birthday message.
    Poor Nic as if the burnt fingers weren't enough - you had to get car sickness as well! Glad the Easter Bunny found you.
    What an amazing job you are doing with the Blog - I feel as I'm there with you (well almost).
    Safe Travelling!
    Aunty Rosalba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Koutas in Europe family. Mem and I stand here and applaud you on this truly fabulous blog (thanks Rosa for forwarding it on). It really has been (and we're sure will continue to be) great reading. You have now really reignited our desire to go back! So glad you love France ... how can you not? We wish you safe travellers for the remainder of your wonderful journey. Mem, Silv, Natalie & Melanie Barberoglou

    ReplyDelete