Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 17 - Transfer from Venice to Genoa

We had originally booked a hire car to drive ourselves from Venice to Genoa, but on the disembarkation information we noticed there was a bus of Australian passengers transferring via bus, so we managed to get ourselves onto that transfer with them. Granted it was a blue hair brigade, but it was great. Half the price and less stress for us having to try and navigate our way from East to West. The only down side was that we weren't going to be able to stop at Lago Guardia or the Shopping OUtlet there either :(

I was a bit nervous about the kids behaving on a 6 hour trip across country (more them disturbing the other passengers) but miraculously, they were brilliant! Those Head Candy Head Phones were the best money I've ever spent!

We got to Genoa at around 4pm and checked into our Hotel Continental. It was really lovely and comfortable. I could have quite happily stayed for a while. We went out in search of a good meal - almost like our 'Last Supper' before getting back onto a cruise and eating their mass produced sub standard (Ben's standard, that is) food.
The old streets of Genoa lovely for a stroll and Gelati 


Success! After pulling rank and insisting we go into the 10th restaurant that we read the menu of, we had one of the best pastas we've had here (at this stage unfortunately we've had probably more 'average' meals than fantastic meals....that's why Ben was so nervous about this particular meal, he really wanted to enjoy the dinner, which he did - we all did!..... are our standards too high?)
Yes I know I said I would only eat cray fish for 2 weeks a year in Robe but this pasta was great thank God for a real meal, not a Coles cafeteria meal you get on the ship, let me take that back I shouldn't bag Coles that much their's was a lot better
Once again who's that good looking bloke with Lee

Stumbled across the Annunziata Cathedral as they were preparing for Palm Sunday. What a magnificent church. In fact even a very average church in Italy is still more spectacular than a nice church in Melbourne and most of them would even give our cathedrals a run for their money.





It doesn't look much from the outside 

What a spectacular basilica
I wasn't in Genoa for an hour and a pigeon shit all over me is that good luck or was I getting my own  back via the evil eye for complaining so much  that sub standard cruise ?





This ones for my favourite mother in law does this marzipan lamb bring back memories?







X

No comments:

Post a Comment